Thursday 1 August 2013

The Global Market



In an age where we can purchase anything, from any country online and get it shipped over to our homes, why is it that we Brits are paying up to 40% more for American fashion? 

It appears brands such as J Crew, Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie & Fitch, American Apparel and even Crocs are charging us 40% more than the same products cost in America.  Apparently this is due to trading costs in the UK however, if they are selling the products online then that extra cost is not needed?   The question I’m thinking is if the cotton wool is being pulled over our eyes?  If we are purchasing online then I think we should be paying the same price for the product globally! 


I don't know if ‘trading costs’ is meant to cover some sort of import tax or subsidize their shops or if this is just opportunity to make more money out of us Brits.  But I do think that if we are a global market, we should be shopping at a more comparable price.  So do I go and get a cheap flight to the USA?  Nah, that will buy me a lot of other good brands right here.


No comments:

Post a Comment