Wednesday 14 August 2013

Is Tom Ford making another comeback?



Earlier this year Colin McDowell gave a talk to us Ravensbourne students, when he shared his thoughts on Tom Ford’s loss of power and relevance within the fashion world.  However, it seems that Ford is not completely out of the picture.  Not only has he just opened his first store in Sloane St, but it is rumoured that he is planning to have over a hundred stores world wide by the end of the year!

Ford has also introduced a new cosmetics line… for men!  After the success of his womenswear cosmetics, the new collection will stock mens cleanser, eye treatment, purifying mud mask, moisturizer, bronzing gel and concealer.  With Marc Jacobs also joining the act announcing their unisex products in their new line, it seems the market for men’s grooming products is growing, I myself am not fully convinced.  Are our men really ready for cosmetics?  And more to the point are we women ready for it?


Much as I like men who look after themselves and care for their appearance, I get the moisturizer, I’m okay with the mud mask, but concealer and bronzing gel are a little too much for me.   

I asked my dad his thoughts on the subject- he thinks men are becoming more and more age conscious and equally ‘as vain as women’ and therefore more inclined to use more male grooming products.  However, he too has not succumbed yet- and thank goodness too.  The thought of my dad using bronzing gel, with concealer dabbed under his eyes, sends me into a fit of laughter/fear for the future.

As for Tom Ford, do we think these moves will assure his popularity?  Are we ready for the jet set Gucci style back in our stores, a long with our fully made up men or is it all a bit too much? Perhaps time to tone it down a little Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment