Saturday 18 May 2013

Skateboard Hearts


Whilst working on a uni project I came across Ed Wilson’s skateboard hearts and thought they were definitely worth blogging about! 


These fabulous pieces of sculpture were made by Ed Wilson from old skateboard decks.  Ed used to own a skateboard shop in Falmouth, Cornwall.  I got in touch and asked him how they came about and how difficult they are to make;
  
 “The idea was derived from the necessity to create a display for Valentine’s Day in the skate shop I used to own. I had broken decks lying around from some of the local guys who skated and I initially intended to prime them in white paint and get some artist friends to create a series of artwork. As they were hanging around I had plenty of time to think about how they could be used. The curved ends lend themselves to the heart shape needed.  I'm always looking at how objects can be re-purposed or brought back to life and I enjoy doing it. Gives you a sense of achievement.  I'd like to say it was a long drawn out thoughtful process but laying the pieces of the board perpendicular to each other and tidying the ends was all the development that was needed. It was then a simple case of screwing them together.  They only took about 20 minutes to make.  I suppose coming across snapped decks is not that common but If you know any skateboarders, ask them if they have any old decks and have a go at making one yourself.”


These truly unique sculptures may have started life for display purposes but I think they are a lovely idea for a gift or home decoration – I might even be tempted to have a go myself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment