Sunday 16 June 2013

Return of Luxury


It seems Britain is seeing a return to luxury shopping. 


The new denim studio at Selfridges is selling J Brand jeans for £525.  So what’s special about these?  Well the rivets are 24 carat gold!  Glad as I am to think that people are stepping away from badly fitting Primark bargains, this seems a bit excessive to me.  I’m not sure why golden rivets are necessary- they certainly won’t add anything to the fit, which I would have thought more of a priority.


And if you want to fly away from the horrors of Primark jeans (or golden rivets, depending on your personal view) then why not use your private jet?  It appears that Britain has recently taken delivery of more private jets than anywhere else in Europe.  In fact at the moment we are making and buying more luxury goods than anywhere else in the world. 


So what’s all this about a recession, are we at last seeing light at the end of the tunnel?  I like the idea of Britain being seen as a great place for luxury rather than cheap and shoddy goods.  I like to think this will boost the economy and improve life for lots of people working to make them. 


But golden rivets and private jets are a bit much for me.  I’m quite prepared to settle for a Chanel jacket…

No comments:

Post a Comment