Saturday 13 April 2013

Biba and Beyond


An outing to Brighton turned up more than pebbles on the beach when I visited the Biba and Beyond exhibition at the Brighton Museum and Art Gallery.  This could be the best £4 I’ve spent in a week yet!  It was a brilliant opportunity to get up close and personal with memorabilia from Barbara Hulanicki, founder of iconic store Biba.  You get a real feel of the way she changed the world of high street shopping in the 60’s and 70’s and how her career developed.  Great inspiration!
 The layout is easy and accessible so you can get really involved with the clothing, make-up, illustrations videos and, my favourite, a wall of quotations.  A seating area has loads of books and images to browse and a drawing wall for your own contribution. I was very impressed by the intimacy of this exhibition and loved the ‘dolly’ aesthetic of the Biba brand.  The clothing was beautifully displayed and looked timeless – I would happily wear most of the items right now, especially a stripy shorts and top combo which I would happily have nabbed off the model.




//Photography by Lillie Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment